Friday, January 20, 2006

Aaaaarrrgghhh! ALLERGIES!!!

Here's a puzzling little thing for your consideration.
Why is is that medication which is basically harmless, but extremely useful, so HEAVILY regulated in this idiotic country?
I suffer from some odd allergies in that many chemical things can get me breaking out in the mad itches. Bleach, certain detergents, etc. Pollen, dust, etc, no problem, splash some bleach on my fingers, scratch, scratch, argghhh!!
I also don't do good with pollution. When I lived in California, I took a lot of medication to deal with smog.
Over the years, I tried everything, but it seemed like the best stuff for me was horribly expensive prescription meds.
My best solution was Zyrtec.
30 days supply?
148.99 US.
WTF?
Needless to say, I could rarely afford it, and just had to suffer to the point of lifelong scars on my shins from the frantic. scratching.
THEN I moved to Washington State.
Much less pollution.
Coolness.
Allergies don't act up so much.
Still, every once in awhile, they'll pop up for an encore.
It's still 148.99 though.
Funny though, right after I moved up here, I went to watch my beloved Los Tiburones wax the inefficient clowns known as the Vancouver Canucks in Vancouver BC. I took two days to wander about, and one of the places I stopped in was a Shopper's Drug Mart.
What's this?
Same drug, different name, and it's over the counter?
Nah, can't be.
It is.
Gotta be brutally expensive, though.
13.99 CANADIAN for a 30 day supply.
And this is the "brand name" stuff, called Reactine up there.
Shopper's Drug Mart also has their "generic" brand.
10.99 for the same amount?
I stock up.
Two years before, I was in a horrible car accident.
I was hit from behind while sitting at a light by a guy doing 60.
I was messed up to say the least.
Even after it was determined there was no serious damage to me, I still had a shitload of bruises, bumps, stiffness, etc.
Even with my chiropractor (hi, Dr. Larry!), I was gonna be pretty trashed for awhile, so the regular docs gave me some Methocarbomol, it's a muscle relaxant.
59.99 for a two week supply.
Well, guess what?
In Canada, it's called Robaxecet, and it's over the counter, too.
There's even generics of it.
18.99 Canadian for a three MONTH supply.

What the fuck is wrong with this nation?
Useful, safe medications cost more than ten times what they cost elsewhere, and you have to have a prescription for it?
And don't EVEN give me George W's bullshit about how they might not be safe, Canada is many things, but an unsanitary nation of 2nd rate hacks isn't one of them.
The medications are virtually identical.
One costs and arm and a leg in the "Land of the Free".
The other is reasonably priced and available with no hassle.
And for some reason, every Shopper's Drug Mart I've been to has at LEAST five hot girls working there.

Ooooh Canada.....my home and adopted land....

3 Comments:

Blogger SteveTP said...

Man i need a Reactine a day - thanks Cat you rat bastard - Thanks be to christ i ain't paying US Prices! I had no idea you guys have to deal with this sort of craziness!

The mind REELS!

And the Wal-Mart brand Reactine is even CHEAPER than the Shoppers brand - 30 pills = 7.88 CAN :)

6:21 AM  
Blogger Dunnyman's Castle said...

Yikes! As much as I hate WalMart, I might have to stock up next time I'm there. Do they have Target in Canada?

10:54 AM  
Blogger SteveTP said...

we did have "Target Discount" in teh dark days of retail before Wal-Mart began their Canadian Invasion ;)

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home